It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 17:06

Hairy Bikers Cajun Spiced Chicken

A place for members to share their favourite recipes * Not necessarily seafood and fish recipes *

Hairy Bikers Cajun Spiced Chicken

Postby skatenchips » 24 Aug 2012, 19:52

Well,it had to happen,them fat blokes have dedicated some recipes to letting out Mr Thin from the fat closet.
This spice mix is one of the recipes from their New diet book that Jude got us on the Ipad,so thought id trial it today on chicken.

OK......

Cajun spice mix

5 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp coursely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp flaked sea salt

above ingredients mixed in air tight container

wrap chicken breasts in cling film and flatten to "escalope" thickness
with rolling pin.

flattened chick breasts(1.5cm).....ish

sprinkle 1 tsp of cajun spice mix over each chicken breast.

3 mins on each side,saw the chick breasts cooked through nicely.

I prepped a quick salad and served them in crispy rolls

Served it with Tzatziki dressing,the chicken was juicy and must say their cajun mix wasnt too fiery but was a subtle warm taste blend that I would have though not only suitable for chicken but may be tasty on pork and sea food.

Enjoyed it anyway as my first attempt at their Diet Foods.

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Hairy Bikers Cajun Spiced Chicken

Postby Rushy » 24 Aug 2012, 20:54

That looks bloody fantastic :yeah2: you've definitely inspired me with that one Gaz :clap: the missus is forever dishing up plain chicken breasts, that looks tasty as hell :thumb:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby TerryG » 24 Aug 2012, 22:10

Looks tasty and so easy to do, Going to get our lass to make me these :thumb: :thumb:
Terry 9T's

Postby Bill Bodger » 25 Aug 2012, 10:09

Looks very nice, I'm going to give this a go but after your comment on heat I might introduce a wee bit of chilli to the spice mix. Just to lift it. I'm a bit of a chilli head so tend to put it in everything.

Thanks for the recipe

BB 8-)
Good things come to those who bait.
Elderly Gent

Postby Bill Bodger » 27 Aug 2012, 10:21

Update

Well I gave it a go and just upped the cayenne pepper by half again to give it a bit of umph. I also put the spices and flattened chicken breast into a large plastic freezer bag and shook it to get an even coating of the spices rather than spooning it on, which seemed to work well. I tried a small piece of chicken in a little oil because I wasn't sure what temp I should be frying at. The temperature needs to be medium heat or the spices burn. In the end I dry fried the meat which gave the desired effect. I was a bit enthusiastic with the amount of chicken I used and I doubled the amount of spice mix. Thinking 2 chicken breasts per person as your pictures show. I cooked it for 3 people and in my opinion the amount of chicken is way too much and could be easily halved. Because it is heavily spiced it goes a long way. Also the amount of protein in the dish makes it very filling especially if served as you have with a nice fresh salad and Tzatziki. I ended up eating it the next day in pitta bread which is also pretty good and I still have some left in the fridge. It won't go to waste I can assure you.

This is definitely a recipe I will use again. It's very tasty and easy to make.

Cheers!

BB 8-)
Elderly Gent

Postby Rushy » 27 Aug 2012, 17:00

Nice one Frank, cheers for the update :thumb:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby skatenchips » 27 Aug 2012, 23:03

I had quite a bit of the powder mixture left and decided to do similar frank.

I sprayed each whole chicken breast (unflattened) with olive oil and did the shake routine and oven cooked them @ 170 for 20 mins in our fan oven,I let em cool and had 1 tonight in a sarny.

Needless to say these will be eaten similar tomorra as I'm off fishing down the river and will use em up
in these Pretzle rolls I make...............

If you want the recipe Ill put it up,,,wasnt sure if weve any bread makers in the house..... ???

anyway,pleased you enjoyed the spicy chicken fella.

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Postby Bill Bodger » 28 Aug 2012, 11:55

If you want to cut out the fat there is no need to spray with oil. I put the chicken into the spice mix dry and it's natural stickiness was enough to take on all but the smallest amount of spice. I did think of oven baking but I wasn't sure if the spice would fall off. In the past I have put a bit of oil in the spice bag and that worked a treat.

I'm loving the recipes it opens up all sorts of possibilities with any fish I catch. (When I catch!!!) I'd certainly be interested in your pretzel bread recipe and method. I have an odd dabble into bread making with varying success.

BB 8-)
Elderly Gent

Postby smokin » 28 Aug 2012, 20:58

skatenchips wrote:I had quite a bit of the powder mixture left and decided to do similar frank.

I sprayed each whole chicken breast (unflattened) with olive oil and did the shake routine and oven cooked them @ 170 for 20 mins in our fan oven,I let em cool and had 1 tonight in a sarny.

Needless to say these will be eaten similar tomorra as I'm off fishing down the river and will use em up
in these Pretzle rolls I make...............

If you want the recipe Ill put it up,,,wasnt sure if weve any bread makers in the house..... ???

anyway,pleased you enjoyed the spicy chicken fella.

Gazza

sounds a bit lke me saturday night kebab recipe - diced chicken in a bag with a mix of cayenne, paprika, cumin, medium curry powder, dried mint, garlic powder and white pepper with a pinch of oregano - mix and sprinkle into the bag squeeze of lemon juice and a glug of olive oil - massage em in the bag then onto the george foreman type thing i have (cooks both sides at once about 3mins and gives it that barbeque/grill flavour) - serve this with a pack of ready chopped asda ranch salad n sauce (ditch the crunchy things), red onion, cucumber and cherry toms. warmed pittas, fresh mint n plain youghurt and my favourite choloula chilli sauce - never fails . Seeing as the mrs is a (hope the swear filter doesnt cut this) Veggie, i do the same recipe with 3 quorn fillets chopped into pieces of 8 (works better than quorn pieces u can buy)- this will do a fat bastard tea and a sunday snack dinnner)

pretty damn good even if i say so mesen
Sh1t Happens

Return to Recipes