It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 04:18

Yabadabadoo! My Solterra Reel Got Spooled & Covered!

Spotted something new on the market?? Want advice on which rod or reel?? Post in here.

Yabadabadoo! My Solterra Reel Got Spooled & Covered!

Postby Scuba Chris » 05 Aug 2024, 05:44

My Okuma Solterra SLX-10Csb w/Neoprene Cover & 65lb Eminent Braid!

Recently i lost my original Solterra10. By far one of my best long distance casters ever next to my Blue Yonder 7000. So i decided to treat myself to a BNIB replacement. On eBay i found one at cost as it was in a jewelry store in a case unused. One of only 2 casters that i can cast +300 without putting a lot into my swing since i had life threatening injuries when i was younger that i never fully recovered from.

So in this vid i'll walk you through my reasoning on the choices i made along the way . My last Okuma Solterra was a mess. Never used it for fishing, only to practice casting. It was mauled from being dropped to never being serviced for +600hr of heavy usage. I actually started with the original units that actually had an external casting control knob on it. It casted far but not as far as this newer "B" series does.

I started with the original Solterra 15 (you can view me hefting that large caster on my earlier videos). This "B" model doesn't have the external casting control but rather the tensioner knob "is" your magnetic controller instead. Very easy to get wired in. To correctly maintain that setting you find perfect remember to back off say 6 clicks when storing it & once you're out in the field set it forward by 6 clicks.

The 10 unit fits extremely well in your hands. Of course we all find using the smallest sized caster of almost any brand will rev-up much faster than their larger counterparts. Try the Okuma Cortez just to verify that. And you can easily exceed the recommended line yardage. It's an "open top" model. No bars or hoods if your line "bunches" up in the middle. So you can easily over-fill it or add a long top shot. On my last unit i stripped of the top 100m & spliced in a 120m top shot. Wow, did that help me in my measurements! That extra 20m length was for when i had to re-cut and knot my sinkers in.

https://youtu.be/Tw7kNINF1Pk
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-08-04 at 6.34.07 PM.png
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Return to Tackle Talk